Like most people, I have dipped in and out of many diets and ways of eating through the years but the food philosophy that feels right to me is about keeping it real and keeping it unrefined. Going organic wherever and whenever possible, eating lots of green, leafy plants, reducing processed foods, and if you choose to, eating sustainable meat occasionally and having plenty of wild fish..
It’s all about keeping it as close to nature as possible… eating the best food you can source that makes you feel good and does you good from the inside out.
I personally stick to, and advocate an 80/20 approach - trying to be perfect all the time is just plain boring and unattainable! I eat well 80% of the time and indulge 20% of the time, which makes it easier to stick to long term. Some of the biggest changes that have made the biggest difference are also the simplest ones such as:
- I reduced the immediate stressors in my life.
- I ate my greens and truck loads of fresh rainbow veggies and fruit.
- I started to eat real, natural whole-foods.
- I became more confident and adventurous in the kitchen and learned to love cooking from scratch, knowing my meals were full of beautiful real ingredients.
- I enjoyed alcohol only occasionally and replaced caffeine with kombucha and kefir - more on these later. I also started drinking gallons of water.
- I used probiotics and fermented foods to heal my gut.
- I discovered good fats and ate tons of them.
- I cut out processed foods and reduced refined sugars completely
- I started to enjoy regular exercise and how it made me feel.
- I took a course in meditation and took time out to meditate every day and practise mindfulness.
I have good days and bad days like everyone else, but making these changes and learning what I now know about the body has really helped me personally to overcome many chronic conditions and heal my depleted immune system and stay healthy and cancer free. I have lived and learned, and my experiences have shaped my commitment to wellness. I now feel so much better and more energetic than I ever have before.
I want to share this with you and would love the chance to make a difference in your life. As your Nutritionist and Naturopath I will use my knowledge, training and experience to educate and empower you. I will offer you support and guidance to make realistic lifestyle and dietary changes to help you live a happier, healthier and longer life.