Top five essential oils to use and why...
I love the often overlooked humble essential oils. They are affordable, natural and can have super powerful effects on our health. I highly recommend adding these essential oils to your arsenal of natural healing tools - they have so many tried and tested medicinal uses.
- Lavender essential oil - lavender oil is like a big deep breath for your body - it’s instantly calming for your mind and body. It’s been shown to reduce anxiety, insomnia and increase quality sleep. If you’re finding it hard to nod off, rub a bit on your neck to wind down. It has natural antibacterial and antiviral properties so has been proven very effective for acne because the lavender essential oil inhibits the bacteria that causes the infections that lead to acne. Adding a small amount of lavender essential oil to other skin creams or ointments can greatly increase the potential for relief and healing.
- Lemon essential oil - lemon oil is naturally clean, fresh and is a wonderful natural detoxifier. We know the limonine component is amazing at detoxifying the gall bladder, the lymphatic system and the liver. So adding a few drops of lemon oil to your drinking water, as well as using fresh lemons will help fight off any immune related issues and will help your natural detoxification process.
- Peppermint essential oil... is very soothing and energising to the body. It has been the subject of over 1000 medical studies for various applications. It’s very effective with digestion and works well when incorporated into IBS or IBD treatments. This is a definite must for anyone suffering with diarrhea, constipation and other bowel or gut disorders. Put a drop in water & drink it, or use it in a diffuser to inhale around the house. Take 3 deep breaths of peppermint oil if you need a pick me up - before an exam or a a big presentation.
- Tea tree essential oil - This is well known for it’s help with skin disorders and acne. Mix some raw honey and tea tree oil together to make a natural face wash that really works. It’s also really good for the scalp especially if you have issues with thinning hair and dandruff. Just mix a few drops with your shampoo and conditioner. I also like to use this one for colds and flu - I put a few drops of tea tree oil, rosemary and peppermint oil onto a tissue next to my pillow to help sleep better when you’re all congested. Works great for kids too.
- Oregano essential oil - it is a very powerful natural immune support. It has antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal properties. f you feel a cold coming on, mix some oregano oil with coconut oil and rub it on the soles of your feet before you put your socks on. If you get onto it fast enough, its a great way to kick a cold. There are so many more applications for oregano oil- I love it.
I hope you’ve found these tips useful, but if you need further in depth professional advice about this or any other topic, then please get in touch to book an appointment today. I look forward to meeting with you soon!